Monday, May 24, 2010

Quinoa


Quinoa! yum yum yum. My favorite grain. I first had this stuff on a vacation with my sisters parents. We were sitting in Maryland somewhere and for dinner we had quinoa chilli! What?! Yes it was delicious.
Since the green-health movement this stuff is crazy available, just look for it next time you're at trader joes or a health food store. Its appearance is very similar to cous cous, and it cooks very similarly, as well as its taste, bland. Its texture is what makes it my favorite grain and it also is what makes it so gosh darn healthy. This grain, which can be traced back to the Incas, who held the crop to be sacred, referred to quinoa as 'chisaya mama' or 'mother of all grains', and it was the Inca emperor who would traditionally sow the first seeds of the season using 'golden implements'. High in protein and fiber this grain is bland but takes on wonderful flavors.
Last night I made quinoa as a side for some scallops. Heres the recipe:
2 parts quinoa to 1 part water, cook.
Caramelize onions and stir in. Add seasonings, I used Italian, siracha, pepper, olive oil and a clove of garlic. Stir in veggies if your heart desires and done. Quick & Easy.
Try playing around with quinoa, its a follower of many flavors.

4 comments:

BW Briggs said...

You have had this before, but too young to remember! I would buy it through the coop & have a pound or 2 on hand. I love your blog & so much info! Glad those food genes have been put to good use!

Unknown said...

Excellent writing, Katie. You're a natural. Liked the factoids on Incan culinary traditions. Keep it coming, gally. -Aaron

Anonymous said...

I haven't yet tried this, but looking forward to it. Shouldn't it be 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water? That's what I have read anyway.

Anonymous said...

I had some last night! YUMMY.
Yes, it's 1 part quinoa to 2 parts water.

Post a Comment